Undergraduate Course Catalog
Effective Term
Requirement or Grouping
Listings Per Page
Subject
  or   Department
Show Descriptions Show Course Guide Term Links For Past Two Years
Note: For descriptions of classes each term, see the LSA Course Guide
   Page 1 of 1, Results 1 - 38 of 38   
Courses in Music School

School of Music, Theatre & Dance

It is possible for LSA students to elect a major in Music or a minor in African-American Theatre, Performing Arts Management, or Music, and these programs are described on the LSA website. In addition, Theatre courses and Music courses are frequently elected by LSA students not majoring or minoring in either Music or Theatre.

All courses in Music History/Musicology, Composition, and Music Theory are electable for LSA credit; some but not all Theatre and Drama courses are available for LSA credit. Some of these courses can be used in an area distribution plan. LSA students may elect music PERFORMANCE courses for degree credit, but this credit counts toward the maximum twenty non-LSA credit hours that can be applied toward an LSA degree.

Creative Expression Distribution Credit.

The following University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance courses have Creative Expression distribution designation (Credits are counted as LSA courses):

Music Composition (COMP)
221. Introduction to Elementary Composition.
222. Composition.

Theatre and Drama (THTREMUS)
101. Introduction to Acting 1.
102. Introduction to Acting 2.
110. Introduction to Acting for the Camera.
181. Acting I
227 / ENGLISH 227. Introductory Playwriting.
240. Introduction to Design.
242. Directing II.
245. Introduction to Stage Management.

The following University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance courses have Creative Expression distribution designation (Credits are counted as Non-LSA):

Performance — Piano (PIANO)
110. Performance. (non-LSA).
111. Performance. (non-LSA).

Dance (DANCE)
100. Introduction to Dance. (non-LSA).
261. Congolese Dance. (non-LSA).
262. Congolese Dance. (non-LSA).

Ensemble (ENS): All Courses 100-399. (non-LSA). .

Courses (100-399) in Music Performance SUBJECTS, (viz., other than Piano Performance, may also be used for Creative Expression, but enrollment is restricted to students of advanced ability).

Course Listings

Courses in Theatre, Music History/Musicology, Composition, Music Theory, and Performing Arts Technology are listed in the Schedule of Classes under the School of Music, Theatre & Dance.

Music Theory (THEORY)
Music Theory covers the nuts and bolts of music composition--materials (scales, chords, etc.) and analytical strategies (themes, form, etc.). This is essential knowledge for composers, performers, and listeners and offers a fascinating view inside the musical work.

A number of music history and theory courses are available to begin exploring the world of music from a research perspective. MUSICOL 121 and THEORY 137 are places to start. MUSICOL 122 offers an introduction to World Music; MUSICOL 123 focuses on popular music.

Courses in Music Theory are listed in the Schedule of Classes under the School of Music, Theatre & Dance. All Music Theory courses count as LSA credit.

THEORY 135. Intro Music Theory Music Theory Major
THTR MAJORS. (3). May be repeated for credit.

THEORY 137. Introduction to the Theory of Music
No previous formal training in music theory only basic understanding of musical notation. (3). (HU). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 139. Bmus Aural Sk I
129/SURV TEST. (1). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 140. Bmus Aural Sk I I
THEORY 139. (1). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 149. Bmus Wrtg Sk I
(2). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 150. Bmus Wrtg Sk I I
THEORY 149. (2). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 211. Basic Th at Keybd
THRY 140,150. (2). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 212. Basic Th at Keybd
THEORY 211. (2). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 236. Intro Music Analysis Music Theatre Major
THEORY 135. (3). May be repeated for credit.

THEORY 238. Introduction Music Analysis
THEORY 137. (3; 2 in the half-term). (HU). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 239. Bmus Aural Sk I I I
THEORY 140. (1). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 240. Bmus Aural Sk I V
THEORY 239. (1). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 249. Bmus Wrtg Sk I I I
THEORY 140; 150. (2). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 250. Bmus Wrtg Sk I V
THEORY 249. (2). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 334. Soph Thry-Writn Skl
THRY 332&333. (2). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 405. Special Courses
(3; 2 in the half-term). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 407. Directed Indiv Stdy
Consent of instructor required. Permission of department chairman. (2 - 4). (INDEPENDENT). May be repeated for credit.

THEORY 408. Senior Project
Consent of instructor required. SR.MAJ THRY. (2). (INDEPENDENT). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 430. Advanced Anl Tonal Music
THEORY 240 and 250. (Prerequisites enforced at registration.) (3). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 433. Analysis of 20th-Century Modernist Music
THEORY 240 and 250. (Prerequisites enforced at registration.) THEORY 259 or JAZZ 221 may substitute for THEORY 250. (3). May be repeated for credit.

THEORY 435. Pop-Rock Music Theory
THEORY 240 and 250. (Prerequisites enforced at registration.) THEORY 239 or JAZZ 221 may substitute for Theory 250. (3). May be repeated for credit. Non-Rackham Graduate credit.

THEORY 436. Analytical History of Jazz
THEORY 240 and 250. (Prerequisites enforced at registration.) THEORY 259 of JAZZ 221 may substitute for THEORY 250. (3). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 442. 18th C Counterpoint
THEORY 240 and 250. (Prerequisites enforced at registration.) THEORY 240; 250 or 259. (3). May not be repeated for credit. F.

THEORY 443. 18th C Counterpoint
THEORY 442. (3). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 454. Orchestration I
THEORY 240 and 250. (Prerequisites enforced at registration.) THEORY 259 or JAZZ 221 may substitute for THEORY 250. (3). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 455. Orchestration II
THEORY 454. (3). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 460. Special Courses
THEORY 240 and 250. Consent of instructor required. (Prerequisites enforced at registration.) (3). May be repeated for credit.

THEORY 531. Schenkerian Theory and Analysis I
Consent of instructor required. Music Theory 430 or 461; permission of instructor. (3; 2 in the half-term). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 532. Schenkerian Theory and Analysis II
THEORY 531 with permission of instructor. (3). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 534. Twentieth Century Music: Theory and Analysis I
Consent of instructor required. THEORY 433 or 533; or permission of instructor. (3). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 535. Pop-Rock Music Theory

This course explores tonal form and analysis in American and British pop-rock and roots music of 1947-present, from performance, compositional, and critical perspectives. Music includes Tori Amos, the Beatles, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Gloria Gaynor & other disco artists, Jimi Hendrix, Etta James, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Elvis Presley, Radiohead, the Smiths, Hank Williams, Stevie Wonder & other Motown artists, and many more. Assignments include reading, listening, musical transcription, aural and written analysis, class presentations, and critical writing.

THEORY 537. Proseminar in the Analysis of Music
THEORY 430. (Prerequisites enforced at registration.) THEORY 430 or 461; or permission of instructor. (3; 2 in the half-term). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 552. Project in Tonal Composition
Consent of instructor required. Theory majors only; permission of instructor. (2). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 560. Special Studies
THEORY 240 and 250. Consent of instructor required. (Prerequisites enforced at registration.) (2 - 3). May be repeated for credit.

THEORY 570. Directed Individual Study
Consent of instructor required. Must secure permission from chairman, Dept of Music Theory, during term prior to that of enrollment. (1 - 4). (INDEPENDENT). May be repeated for credit.

THEORY 590. Teaching Tonal Theory
Consent of instructor required. THEORY 430 or 461; with permission of instructor. (3). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 805. Seminar in Theory
Permission of instructor. (3; 2 in the half-term). May not be repeated for credit.

THEORY 807. Research Project
Consent of instructor required. Permission of department chairman. (2 - 4). (INDEPENDENT). May not be repeated for credit.

College of Literature, Science, and the Arts 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI  48109 © 2012 Regents of the University of Michigan